Monday, January 4, 2010

#2: Holiday Inn

Starring: Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds
Dir: Mark Sandrich (1942)

The bad and the good -
Bad: Blackface. Lots of blackface. Also, Marjorie Reynolds is a BLAND-PAN. Also, Fred Astaire playing an unsympathetic character is just too much of a stretch for me. Also, there were many boring holiday songs - who says Lincoln's Birthday is a holiday, anyway? Oh wait I forgot it's an excuse for more BLACKFACE! Which we love!! Also, it made me wish I was watching Christmas in Connecticut instead. Also... blackface.
Good: I liked seeing a fresh-faced young Bing doing his buh-buh-buh-boos in the Singing/Dancing number with Fred Astaire. Also not to be missed was Fred's fireworks dance - probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Why was he so awesome ALL the time?? I mean, tapping on the ceiling and an exploding dance floor and a duet with a coat rack?? Not all in the same movie, of course.
Best: We have this movie to thank for "White Christmas." And that's wonderful.

Summary: It had two of my favorite actors, but in two of my least favorite roles so far. Most confusing of all, it was a Christmas movie that felt kind of un-Christmas-y. More of a New Year's movie. (Oh, I forgot! Also good were Mamie's adorable children, especially dressed as the Old and New year.)

Stars: 3.5 of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment