Thursday, April 21, 2011

#23: Hud

Starring: Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, Brandon de Wilde
Dir: Martin Ritt (1963)


Well this movie was good. I don't know how actors I really really really want to like can make me hate them. Paul Newman was successfully GROSS in this movie, and while the sight of him did make me put my dishtowel down more than once, he was such a jerk in the end that I just couldn't like him at all. He was every horrible guy ever. And God bless Patricia Neal for resisting him!
If this came into your room... would you punch it?
(For some reason I thought he was going to die? [Spoiler alert: He doesn't.] Oh well.)
Bad: The dad/granddad character seemed kinda cardboard and was completely uninteresting until the very end when he got really mad after he shot the longhorns. That was okay.
Good: Patricia Neal! SUCH a freaking badass. Her accent was patchy but apart from that I just really loved her, her bare feet, and her smartassery... and how much of a babe she was for resisting Hud. Just... something I couldn't do. Be proud, Pat.
Also good: Brandon de Wilde! He was kind of intriguing to watch, which is more than be said for Shane. Like, the entire movie. But in Hud I really liked him. I couldn't exactly figure him out. Plus he was cute in a blonde, silent kind of way.
Still good, or, Obviously the best: Pig catching.
Just...
Paul Newman.
Chasing pigs.
Yup.

Also I loved the look of this movie. It was filmed in black and white in the sixties, which is kind of interesting. Here are some pretty pictures -
singing

(I love the way they move around in this scene)


Hi. Hi studs. Hi.
Summary: Fine! Long, depressing, but fine... soooooo.... so... *ahem.* Fine.
Stars: 3.5 of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment